Compost is organic material that can be used as a soil amendment or as a medium to grow plants. Mature compost is a stable material with content called humus that is dark brown or black and has a soil-like, earthy smell. It is created by: combining organic wastes (e.g., yard trimmings, food wastes, manures) in proper ratios into piles, rows, or vessels; adding bulking agents (e.g., wood chips) as necessary to accelerate the breakdown of organic materials; and allowing the finished material to fully stabilize and mature through a curing process.
Natural composting, or biological decomposition, began with the first plants on earth and has been going on ever since. As vegetation falls to the ground, it slowly decays, providing minerals and nutrients needed for plants, animals, and microorganisms. Mature compost, however, includes the production of high temperatures to destroy pathogens and weed seeds that natural decomposition does not destroy.
Benefits of Compost Consulting
- Reduce or eliminate the need for chemical fertilizers
- Promote higher yields of agricultural crops
- Facilitate reforestation, wetlands restoration, and habitat revitalization efforts by amending contaminated, compacted, and marginal soils
- Cost-effectively remediate soils contaminated by hazardous waste
- Remove solids, oil, grease, and heavy metals from stormwater runoff
- Avoids Methane and leachate formulation in landfills
- Capture and destroy 99.6 percent of industrial volatile organic chemicals (VOCs) in contaminated air
- Provide cost savings of at least 50 percent over conventional soil, water, and air pollution remediation technologies, where applicable
- Reduces the need for water, fertilizers, and pesticides
- Serves as a marketable commodity and is a low-cost alternative to standard landfill cover and artificial soil amendments
- Extends municipal landfill life by diverting organic materials from landfills
RJ Consulting can help your business implement a successful composting program to become complaint with any state requirement or regulation. We design and implement programs that helps businesses reduce and divert the amount of items that would have normally been discarded in the trash.